Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Still in Austin

Being on the road is not a bad thing, but for some reason the work that happens at the home base seems to reach out and find you. Yes, we live in a connected world where "I can hear you now, I'm in DFW" and "I can hear you now, I'm in a meeting in Ausin." Yes, there is wireless in a hotel and I can blog from the ES, 4th floor.

Driving back into the city, where I'm staying, was very nice tonight. Even though I was on the phone and the Never Lost was dinging and commanding my turns (which I am grateful for) I was familiar enough with I-35 South so that I could enjoy the view of the city, seeing the capital (the building and the city) illuminated.

I did come to Austin, leaving the comfort of my home, my office and my routine, to do work. I was mildly irked as I gathered with my colleagues -- who are realtively new to me -- and one of them was buried in the computer, doing e-mail and chatting online with colleagues. None of us came here for our health and when I realized this person was way off task, I needed a move.

So, I attracted her attention and gently at first, but progressively went down a path of challenging her assumptions. I went to the point of aggravation, but set her up so that she would have to start making the points (which is what we needed for our work) that defended, but also articulated her position. It seems a little silly that I'd have to go down such a path to bring someone back to the table, but not everyone values minutes as much as I do, and there are probably few people that are as focused and try to conserve time and energy to the same extent as me.

Even though efficiency didn't reign, I did learn a lot yesterday and today. Making the contacts and learning about the technology was valuable and rewarding. Having the opportunity to lead, follow, and provide shape -- almost like a relay event -- is a skill-builder.

Lots more to talk about, but I do need to rest/recharge. Long day tomorrow, starting early, but culminating in travel home.

No comments: