Thursday, January 12, 2006

I Get Paid to be Patient!

Another fun and challenging day at the office (dear). I found myself running mostly back to back as I'm doing a lot of personnel work. I found one particularly challenging situation with a person who is running a little on the negative side. While I appreciate the sentiment and the motivation for it, there is a limit to how much venting is productive and in what forum is it appropriate. Certainly a group sigh is okay, but that must be followed by a deep breath in.

I did get some strong positive, though, from another member who described the opportunity as so abundant that it was difficult to know where to start the harvest. My goal is to always keep the soil ready for planting, while I must also remember when to sew my own seeds.

Yoga class tonight was very good. I was startled during savasana by a painful cry from a classmate. The sound of human despair abruptly occuring during deep relaxation was way out of the ordinary. I waited until the end of class, which was only a few minutes after the interruption and went over to offer comfort. I really didn't know if going over during class was okay, and the instructor went over as well after class rather than during the close. What was even more startling was that the person is normally very focused, upbeat, positive, and I never would have imagined the description of the situation that I received.

The explanation was partially puzzling: that the narrative during savasana helped the person to realize the transition from one side to the other across an expanse that was unknown, and unidentified. It's sort of like arriving at a destination, having missed part of the journey and not really sure why you're travelling in the first place. Even more strange is that I understood at an emotional level where it didn't make much sense from an intellectual level.

And we think we humans are smart...

No comments: