Sunday, February 19, 2006

Senior Slack

Jenn's friend, Alena, was published in the Chapel Hill News. The article, which is an astute and introverted view of the last year of high school, explains the transition from high school to college from the students' perspective.

I bypassed senior slack in high school because I realized in December of my senior year that I had achieved all the qualifications required for graduation. When I verified this with the administration and they confirmed, I cordially invited them to mail my diploma to me -- see ya!

Truth be told, I probably wasn't entitled to Senior Slack as I had already excelled in slacking for the previous three and a half years. Seated in the back of class -- the entitled position for those who are tall -- I found many things more interesting than the information emanating from the front of the classroom. You could easily collaborate with others similarly disinterested in the material until the cadence elicited the penalty flag from the front. And, if quiet collaboration wasn't interesting enough, one could contend for the attention of the class through various disruptive means. I learned some social skills in the back of the classroom, but did not develop my political skills until much later.

I did find my way to the front of the classroom in college, and always try to sit in the front to reduce distractions in all educational forums I now attend. I do this without apology to those sitting behind me -- they should arrive early like I do if they want the best seats.

I do strongly relate to the need to get on with things and advance to life after high school. It is wonderful to see Jenn and her friends blossom into young adults, alive with interest and curiosity, and ready to advance into new and exciting adventures. Life, learning, and opportunity await.

I would just suggest one tiny edit to Alena's article. Rather than having Jenn as a "former over-achiever," I would suggest that she is an over-achiever on sabbatical.

No comments: