Thursday, February 09, 2006

How Some People Spend Time

I do not think it is ever appropriate to cast judgement on others. One article I read on this subject -- probably from the DailyOM -- suggested that we like in others the same things that we like in ourselves, and dislike in others that which we dislike in ourself. That said, if I thought that somebody was wasting their time, or doing something seemingly without cause I would possible be projecting my own values onto another's behavior. There are times, though, that projection and possibly correction are a good thing.

It is easier to see how others use their time than to see how we use our own time. While there is ample opportunity to do nothing (which really could be considered doing something) we should use our time to do whatever it is well, and should look for enjoyment in our activity.

This brings me to a question about aggravation. If what one is doing either is aggravating or causes aggravation (if there is a difference) then why would you continue this activity? Even though hard problems can be tiring and challenging situations (should) take us into deeper thought, aggravation is often a side-effect.

To bridge the thoughts about using time wisely and aggravation, the test becomes the desired outcome -- do you know what it is, and are you working toward it. Engaging in activities with a desired outcome in mind is often easy and natural. I eat because I'm hungry, I sleep because I'm tired. I express anger because somebody made a statement I disagree with. Whoa, that's the odd man out!

I will stop here because even though the thoughts are occuring and I'm writing to help sort them out, it's more like a leaky faucet than a fountain. I must be tired, so I will rest with a purpose -- to recharge so that I might write again soon.

No comments: