Sunday, February 12, 2006

Self-paced Spinning

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to take my iPod and use one of the studio bikes at the health club. It was a lot of fun to pick my own music and set the pace and tempo.

As I've done spinning I've always had ideas about what music and tempo would be good for different paces -- warmup, seated ride, standing climb and something that I normally don't do, which is sprints (not full out, but fast pace).

The fast pace came with a jazz tune by Bruce Barth where the melody was played in a moderate four, but the solo went to double-time, straight four. What was nice was the interlude between solo sections where the opening theme was echoed at the original tempo and this was a short recovery from the sprint.

I was so excited about doing this that I think I ramped up the pace a little quickly, and after the fast wheel work I was just a little cooked. Nevertheless, I got in about 35 minutes and would have continued give more time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice--I hope you will share!