Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Living Life to the Fullest

I'm very happy to be home tonight after waking up in Houston, travelling home, working this afternoon, going to Yoga, going to Piano, and doing some more stuff at home. I found so many ups and downs in the folks around me. Often I think about the day as swimming to the other side of the lake. Along the way, you can pick up a swimmer or two in trouble, but if too many start tugging on you at the same time, you're going under!

+ I made it to the airport on time
+ I got onto the plane, although Continental rolled the dice with an oversold flight
- I sat in a narrow seat beside a broad person who fidgeted laterally, and behind a person who fidgeted longitudinally
+ I had lunch with a close colleague
- My colleague told me what's been happening at work
+ Fabulous product announcements today
+ Had coffee with J
+ Went to Yoga
+ Positive feedback on Yoga article
+ Positive feedback on podcast (it's a hit!)
- Sad news from my family
+ Piano lesson
+ Introduced two people who are both close to me to each other

Looks like the pluses have it!

Over the next few days, I realize there are some situations on many fronts that may need special handling. As these events unfold, it will be important to stick to the fundamentals -- the rules of engagement, so to speak.

* expend energy at the point in time where you can positively influence the outcome
* express any emotions such that they may be understood as well as shared
* empower others to lead in solving problems by asking for their help
* breathe, and be

If the water is too rough for swimming, it's okay to take the boat across. You may be more productive in the rescue operation.

No comments: