Thursday, February 02, 2006

A New View

Have you ever had the experience where you found yourself answering questions that just don't seem to make sense? I found myself responding to a line of questioning today where the questions seemed to indicate a difference of opinion about a direction I was taking. It was as though the questions about why I was doing something was the easiest way for this person to disagree with the course of action.

Given that I believe strongly in reversion to the mean in human behavior (in this case my normal response in this case would be irritation) I had to hold an even temperament. More importantly, I had to maintain my position. Even more importantly, I needed to maintain the enthusiasm for the subject, even though there is a point where you ask yourself "why even bother."

The new view is that responding to this type of questioning could be an educational opportunity for the person doing the (insipid) questioning. Over and over again you get the opportunity to explain and re-explain in terms that ultimately affirm your position many many different ways.

There comes a point in time where the person will either see the light, get tired of asking, or have someone else to bother.

The new view reminds me to take the opportunity to not just be profound, but to be convincing as well.

No comments: