Sunday, March 19, 2006

Time Flies

The only thing that goes by faster than a two-day weekend is a three-day weekend. I did get to do all the things that I wanted to do, and feel pretty well-rested. Well, mostly.

I took a side trip from the XML study which took me to mySQL, which went very smoothly for an install. Also took a trip into PHP, which didn't go quite so well. The PHP is way too complicated, although I'm sure it's quite powerful. I really only wanted the front end to mySQL that a PHP tool is offering, but I couldn't get the "client side" of PHP to work.

In hindsight, that makes sense as you really don't want your browser to have the ability to run local executables for security purposes. So, I suppose that's why the architecture takes us to server side tools.

I discovered something fairly important on Friday. In the spirit of props (learned in Yoga) I stumbled across the notion of something to remind me to hold posture in piano. As much as possible, I try to capture the position that my body is in when my playing stumbles. Often, I find that I'm starting to slouch forward.

When the yardstick that I found in the house -- all 27" of it -- wasn't long enough, I scurried over to the hardware store where I discovered that wooden yardsticks are a thing of the past. So I found a 36" x 2" piece of balsa that (and don't laugh) I can slide down my shirt and position against an elongated spine. It requires engagement of the core muscles and a renewed focus on breathing. (By the way, I know I've never mastered breathing and playing with the exception being when I sing what I'm playing.)

The reminder to keep the core engaged enabled a number of other things to happen in my playing. It provided good posture for reading from the music desk. It allowed better connection between hands, shoulders and back. While I wouldn't want to start a recital by sticking a long piece of wood down my shirt, I was excited by the discovery of the benefits of this practice technique. The final note on this is that the wood is not a brace, so it takes active engagement of the core and a mental check to remember that the spine should be mostly flat against the wood.

No comments: