Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Need for Active Breaks

Recently, I've found myself doing marathon tasks at work. The back to back sessions are usually pretty intense and require a lot of focus. The deep technical stuff requires even more focus, and tends to be dry as it's usually presented. Nevertheless, it is possible to stay with the program, but not without breaks.

Going for an extended session is okay in the morning when fresh, but by midday it has taken the toll. I'll wonder off in search of calories, and then find it challenging to resume. It's as though I've gone through an intellectual anaerobic exercise and all I'm left with is a fresh supply of lactic acid. (Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't work quite like this.)

One of the techniques that I've learned in Yoga is relax by breathing and assimilate (the practice) in savasana. At home, it's easy to take a brief savasana in between tasks. I find this very refreshing while working on piano. At work, I have plenty of room to walk around and things to do, but there isn't an easy mental escape as I'm sure to come across "additional opportunity" in the hallway.

With that, I remind myself to remember the importance of the active break, taking the time to assimilate the learning and content from the previous event, and to arrive at each new session fresh, open and receptive.

No comments: