Sunday, March 26, 2006

Bigtime Geek Weekend

Ok, so I did some serious hacking this weekend. Most people probably wouldn't think of me as a geek, but I definitely had a busy geekend.

I got the PHP to work after installing Apache (local only) and the phpMyAdmin worked flawlessly with mySQL. What I discovered was that the Berkeley DB XML is a database that will natively store "lots" of XML documents. That then begs the question of why try to use a relational database when I can go native (XML).

As with so many computer projects, the nested subtasks run deep. I found it difficult to get anything with dbxml working other than the command line -- which worked great, and very quickly highlighted the potential. I struggled to get the PHP to work, even installed the MS C++ compiler to try to do the build. Even caved and wrote to tech support, well after I'd exceeded my "30-minute rule." They didn't really help.

So, plan L. Use the debian distro under VMware player and build dbxml from source. If this works, then I'll have to look very seriously at running the database, web server, etc., under Linux.

As if hacking was enough, I also did some serious reading about computers (ok, also hacking.) I started a thread on Cray's new architecture, which tends to amalgamate SIMD, parallel, distributed, and multithreaded. They cited a new intelligent compiler and parallel programming model called Chapel. Looks like it's supposed to understand the hodgepodge of hardware -- seemingly hierarchical -- and then enable the user to be more productive in writing code.

Even though I'm deep in Linux Clusters, I came across some things I'd never heard of before. UPC (unified parallel C), PGAS (partitioned global address space), CAF (co-array FORTRAN), and a problem that makes this all pertinent -- the Buffon-Laplace needle problem. I have a little light recreational reading to do while I wait fot the dbxml to compile. Wait -- it's done! Back to hacking...

No comments: