Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Busy Week

All weeks are busy, but for some reason this week seems even more so. I have found work to be a little more demanding than usual, but certainly very interesting. There has been a wave of minor respiratory illness circulating and I may be using some energy defending against this -- that I'm a little tired and don't know why feeling.

I'm very happy about the progress with the XML project. I have found a pretty consistent structure to my activities that I document and the tagging to put the document into form. The neat part is that I'm starting to get some facility with XSLT -- the transformation capabilities -- where I can take my tagged document, apply transformation rules, and yield XHTML. This sounds a little like gobbledygook, but with and XSLT style sheet I can turn my structured document into a formatted document for a web browser. The real power is that I can extract and sort sections of the document.

For example, if I have 15 "events" in my document, all on one customer, I can write the generalized transform to sort all the customers and group the 15 events into a single view while ignoring the balance of the document. You might have guessed that I spent the last couple of days working on this rather than blogging.

Time to go to work and start capturing more structured text!

No comments: