Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Power of Searching

Today, the ability of the individual to easily access information is arguably unprecedented. Similarly, the potential for the individual to disseminate ideas follows suit. I bring these two concepts together with an example.

Using Google, I have a set of predefined searches which execute daily and the result is dutifully sent to my email. One of my searches is quite simple, and contains the lone term "Yoga." Even though this is a relatively recent search that I've dispatched, I've received a number of interesting hits. For example, I've learned how Britney Spears is seeking Yoga as a means to manage her body weight.

The article I read this morning was one that surprised me. I had never really thought of Yoga as a controversial subject -- if anything, quite the opposite. An opinion printed by a resident of Milford, Ma., found a way to justify why Yoga doesn't belong in [the] classroom. Her research led her to believe that Yoga is a religious practice and, therefore, shouldn't be practiced during school.

I won't take the time to counter with my opinion in this matter, although I may mentally prepare in case Ms. Carlin moves to Chapel Hill and takes issue with Yoga at CHHS.

So, in 2006, I can easily discover in the large world the small minds. From the broadest perspective I can find the narrowest point of view. And, for what it's worth, I have the same potential audience for my opinion as Ms. Carlin has for her's.

No comments: