Saturday, October 14, 2006

Back in Chicago

We came up to Chicago to visit Jenn for parent's weekend. It is just fabulous to see Jenn and know how well she is doing with school and in her new social setting. Even though the dorm is prone to partying, which does not set the stage for slumber, Jenn does seem to find a nice mix of both. It's great to see that she has a lot of friends, and to know that she's having fun an achieving in her academics as well.

We went to the Northwestern/Purdue football game today. I expererienced first-hand a keg and egg party. The marching band for Northwestern was quite good. The football team is now 2-5 for the year.

I found a few minutes in the Apple store, and keep eyeing the new iMac. The notebooks are really nice, and the pros with the 30" screen are also incredible. But I think my intro Mac could be the 17" iMac. I believe it comes with Garage Band 3, and this would keep me intrigued for many months. This would be in addition to just playing around with the computer and learning about the capabilities of the Mac.

There is an amazing shop in Old Orchard, L'Occitane (de Provence), which has the most incredible collection of products that smell wonderful. It is a French version of Bath and Body Works. I was drawn into the store by this incredible honey incense, which was buring outside and detectible about 150' from the store entrance.

Tonight, Saturday night, is not going to be a big night on the town. Jenn came out to my sister-in-law's house with use and will get a peaceful night's rest. I promised that I wouldn't stay up all night raising heck until 5:30 in the morning.

I finished reading Meditations from the Mat on Thursday. It's a really enjoyable book with 365 chapters (one for each day of the year). The book is divided into eight sections, corresponding to the eight limbs of Yoga. Each day opens with a quote from a rich variety of sources (including yoga students of the author, Rolf Gates). Gates then follows the quote with a short writing from his own experiences. I would recommend the book just for the bibliography, with the quotes and writings being a wonderful bonus.

The Windy City was supposedly named for the movement of air by the politicians, but in Evanston the wind is legitimate. I'll look forward to returning home, but will miss Jenn all over again.

No comments: