Monday, October 16, 2006

Back Home

It was so nice to see Jenn over the weekend. We took her to one of her favorite spots -- the grocery store! She was delirious with ecstasy, shopping and buying things she loves like pita and hummus, interesting mixes of fruits and nuts, cereal, and tupperware to store things in the room. She is doing well and making lots of friends. From what I can see, she will be a leader among the pack. I can tell that she has emotional maturity that is ahead of many of the freshman.

I'm both surprised and not surprised at the drinking on campus. I attended a keg and egg party, and I suppose it's perfectly natural to drink beer at 9:30 in the morning before a football game. Maybe because the team at NU isn't that good, the alcohol makes the game more interesting? I just think the drinking is part of the scene.

In years gone by, I have consumed a more than modest quantity of alcohol. These days, I rarely drink because it tends to slow me down a bit. I'm not a teetotaller, and I'm not on a crusade to stop people from drinking. But, even I was not one to drink in the morning. And, I would have thought that the urge to binge would have passed along with high school, but not everyone has gotten this out of their system.

Overall, it was fabulous to see Jenn, and I'm very happy that she loves what she's doing now, and where she's doing it.

No comments: