Tuesday, June 20, 2006

What's New

Not too much. I've been busy working through some work issues. Career transition times can be tough, but much of the tough part is "my interpretation of events." All of the best advice I could rationally give myself is hard to reconcile when emotion takes over, driven partly by frustration and partly by fear. (Yes, fear. Such an interesting concept.) I was able to get my head together for the most part over a three-day weekend. A very affirming meeting on Monday with a senior exec left me reassured, and put my fear (needlessly felt) to rest.

I learned a strong lesson today. In a conversation with a supplier/partner, I referred to my company as a "computer company." The supplier said I "burst his bubble" as he'd been viewing us as a solution company. He went on and on about trade press, and statements the CEO made, and so forth. I'd used the expression when I was describing relative contributions of multiple companies and disciplines in a collaborative nature, so maybe this guy is just a jerk. However, the point he made really hit home, and gave me the pause to reflect.

I took a really great Yoga class on Sunday, "stretch and restore" and for me it was very much about restore. Not sleeping (on top of mental distractions) and worry (yes, me worry) takes it's toll. I told the teacher, who was new to me, that I was seeking the restoration of spirit. With my intent and very good guidance, the restoration occured. I slept Sunday night and was able to get recentered and put many items into perspective.

The feelings I experienced and the way I ultimately managed them was both a reminder of my humanity as well as a lesson in how to deal with it.

No comments: